It's been a while since I posted here. Lots of progress, in a number of directions:
Involvement with actual dancers. Yes, I did the dumb thing going off and writing code that I thought would be cool, without talking to people who would, you know, use it. For longer than I care to admit. But it seems to have worked out ok. Shorty is excited, though busy. Mae Phillips is also involved now. She does middle eastern dance, and belly dance, and teaches dance.
They've both done different versions of the 'actual pants.' I put 'actual pants' in quotes, because none of them really qualify as pants. None have a crotch. Lots of pockets, in various places. Mae did this fabulous black spandex thing, that laces up in the back like a corset. After lots of experimentation, we put the wiimote in a pocket on her chest. She's short, so that distance helps her move her pelvis more independently. The nunchuk seems to work best on the pelvis, but we're still experimenting with that.
Still no video yet, but that will come soon. We have to invent choreography for this.
Of course, they were excited about different things than I was. I love the strike instruments, they seem to prefer the scale one. They wanted something that would do a 'scale' with a hip pivot--both Shorty and Mae asked me about it on separate occasions. Sunday morning I woke up with code writing itself feverishly in my head, assembling itself out of other things I'd already done. Monday evening I had something that could be useful. A screenshot:
Not a great color choice, but that's easy to change. The 'stick' is the box on an angle below. The box above is a visual reference for the instruments. The pointy thing below is a cone, you go around the cone to control a tone, or whatever you happen to be controlling.
While I'm at it, the strike instruments:
I have these set to play gamelan bells, from something I downloaded off freesound.org. It'll come with the next release.
The editor is moving at this point, but a little slowly. You can add strike instruments, grab them, move them around. Deleting is buggy. There's a bug in Java 3D I have to work around, and it's an ugly hack. I have to just break down and do it.
I also need to port to Windows. Mae runs a Windows laptop. I have to run an image of Windows on my Mac. I'm liking Parallels more and more.